For the cake
- Eggs 8 each
- Sugar 1 Cup
- Orange Juice ¼ Cup + 2 Tablespoons
- Zest of 1 orange
- Olive Oil 1 Cup
- Vanilla 1 Tablespoon
- Amaretto (optional) 1 Tablespoon
- Almond flour 4 Cups
- Baking powder 1 ½ teaspoons
- Baking Soda ¾ teaspoon
- Salt ¾ teaspoon
For the syrup
- Orange Juice ½ Cup
- Sugar ½ Cup
Though you may use a stand mixer to make this recipe if you’d like, it is not necessary and can easily be made by hand.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° and grease a 9” spring-form pan. You may also use a deep cake round, just make sure to line it with parchment paper and grease it well.
- In a bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and mix together till evenly blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs and sugar and whisk until fully blended together, 1-2 minutes.
- To your egg and sugar mixture, add your orange juice, orange zest, vanilla extract and amaretto (should you choose to use it) and whisk together until fully combined.
- While continuing to whisk your wet ingredients, slowly pour in your olive oil and continue to whisk until fully blended into the wet mixture.
- Once your wets are combined, add your dry mixture on top of the wets and fold in using a spatula until fully combined and no dry clumps remain.
- Pour your batter into your cake pan and bake for 1 hour or so.
- While the cake is baking make your syrup: In a small pot, combine your ½ cup orange juice and ½ cup sugar and cook on medium heat till the mixture just simmers and the sugar is completely dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- To test if the cake is done gently shake the cake pan and check if the center set. It should not jiggle. The cake will be a dark brown shade when fully baked.
- Once the cake is done and pulled from the oven, set aside to cool about 5 minutes before pouring your orange syrup over top the cake. Let the cake continue to cool completely, another 2-3 hours or so, before serving. Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream or whipped ricotta.